August 10, 2005

Coldplay

For those of you who don't know, I am a BIG Coldplay fan. Very big, one of my favorite bands of all time. Well, last night, a friend from work and I went to Cincinnati to see the one and only Coldplay.

First, at this concert they played all of this really good interim music. Some marvelous songs that I will never know. Makes me realize that there are whole geographic countries of music that I do not know. I consider myself a decent music fan, and this is somewhat sad to me. However, I enjoyed the music.

The opening act was a band from Vancouver, Canada named "Black Mountain". Stoner rock was my first impression, which is not a bad thing. I like the old 60's rock psychedelic stuff. They were a mix of rock and heaviness, some truly killer guitar, and maybe Floyd or other folky, druggy type stuff. A bit of the Dead maybe. Splendid is what I would desctibe the experience as. Their set was splendid, and I found myself wanting to see them again.

Now, breaking down their stage, more interim music that is great but without name. I did recognize an cover of the Beatles "Tomorrow Never Knows" from the Revolver album.

Then, they guys came on, starting off with "Square One", first track off of the new album. WOW! Fantastic light show, great sound and energy. The crowd was huge and everyone was into it. I love live music. I will steadily lose my hearing over it, but the total hugeness of a good concert is something I love. The sound waves that actually move your body. I think I should pack up and just follow the band. Some highlights:

"Yellow". Huge yellow balloons filled with yellow confetti were dropped onto the crowd. Chris Martin, the singer, says that the song will not finish until they are all popped. He help out the last note until they were all burst, and they ended the song.

"God Put A Smile On Your Face" just cause its a favorite.

"The Scientist" and "Everthing's Not Lost" are two of my favorite piano based songs. the second one sparked a big singalong.

"Speed of Sound", another great one from the new album.

"Clocks" was one of the songs where the crowd literally went nuts. It was just crazy stuff. They played it so well. At the end, we were clapping along and the steadily sped it up. If you know the song at all, Chris Martin was playing the piano hook so fast and our hands were getting beat, but man, it was so cool.

"In My Place" was another song that, as soon as the drums started, we went crazy. It is a great sing along song. Big, big fun with that one.

"Fix You" was the final song of the night. A great one off of the new album. They all sing the second verse together, which makes it very nice.

All of the songs were great, and the concert was one of the best I have ever been to...a great experience.

1 Comments:

At 8:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

like tumbler and tipsy days hopefully we will remain in high spirits. well, good day

 

Post a Comment

<< Home