July 05, 2005

Three Day Weekend

Nothing like a three day weekend to lift your spirits. Course, they honestly seem to go by faster that the two day variety, but, all good none the less. Let me see if I can break this down.

Friday Night - Saw Tim Wilson at the Funny Bone comedy club. Lets just say my face hurt....he was HeeLarryUs. One of my favorite lines, "When we captured Saddam Hussein in that farm, I thought, when did the Oak Ridge Boys get to Iraq?" That had me going for a bit, I think it ended in a bit of light headed coughing. Good stuff

Saturday - house cleaning (always fun), playing with kids, a cookout at Tex's. Yes George, we had grilled meat, and yes, it was fantastic. Watched quite a bit of Live 8. I remember fondly the Live Aid show of '85. I remember "We are the World" in that same vein. I thought it was amazing, and wanted to see this one, for the acts and the history. Pink Floyd was reuiniting for the first time in 24 years. That is huge my friend, at least to me it is. The whole thing just didn't have that feeling of Live Aid. Live Aid felt like a difference was being made. Probably wasn't, but it felt like it. Live 8 felt like a big show of a lot of people. I think probably it is me more that anything. When you are 15, you believe a lot can be accomplished with the government. I think as you grow older, you lose those ideals. Seems that things are more jaded, you learn more than you want to know. Pink Floyd rocked though, although VH1 cut off the end of Gilmour's guitar solo on Comfortably Numb.....dumb move. ColdPlay and U2 also were amazing. Practiced our worship service at 10 p.m. til 11:30 p.m., all went well.

Sunday - Got there at 9 a.m. to go over the worship 1 more time. Still working fine, everything looks like it will go well. Getting into worship, Nick Taylor is working the media shout, I am working the sound board and giving Nick queues for working the PC stuff. We have a few others in the room, my daughter being one of them. Another young man there as well. We start practicing our song to record in Spanish. I have Nick getting ready to press record to make the mp3, and he is so focused on that, he is late with slides. However, we get it recorded, the church did very well. All is on point. Now, Rob D tells me that he will reinitiate the video conversation at communion time. He tries to, I see it, but it will not work. Hmmm, that is odd, it has worked well for the last two times. Try again, now answer. I check our wireless connection status, which is down from 11 to 1 - not good. It actually is fading from nothing to 1, neither of which is good. I am getting a bit nervous now. Generally, I would get tense, which I did. I would also let it show, which I kept in check. Jay begins and is made aware of the glitch, he begins with Sean Nine instead,with rolling pics from Afghanistan. Me, in the background, leaning over a Nick Taylor who will not move, trying to jumpstart the connection. I even turn the router off and back on, no luck. I have one helper following me closely, which is also not a good thing. Sloane had backed up to give me room, its like she's lived with me for almost 11 years! Now, Jay is done with Sean, I can work on the PC. I decide a reboot is in order. I probably should have done a release renew, but, I was not as clear as I could have been. One thing I definitely should have done was kill the projector, but no, I didn't. Now everyone is seeing the process of the reboot, and luckily, the password is not too difficult. I am aglow (code for those who know me). The connection kicks backup on reboot, and we get it going again. Jay gets the signal, we do the conversation with George, which looks like the trailer for "The Hulk" as George's camera shows only green. In the end, it worked. It was really cool, even with the technical difficulties. I retired to the men's room for some paper towels. Good stuff. Sunday evening was canceled and we just chilled out at home. I went and played some geetar later on that night.

July 4th - Began with some more relaxing. Cleaning followed, with a trip to the inlaws for some burgers. Nothing amazing at all about this day. Sloane went to spend the night with a friend, Dakota, Lisa and I want to see the fireworks at Camden Park....well, across the river, in the "S" curve of Burlington. Great views, good show, etc. Saw some stellar examples of parenting, as you often do at public events, but nothing major.

Anyway, that was it. Some relaxin', some work, all good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home