July 15, 2005

Vacation

Well, this is my last day in the state for a few weeks. Family vacations, with both sets. It is a blessing that we get along so well, and can enjoy spending extended time with each other. So, I will generally be away from electronic communications for two weeks. I may just leave my phone off. While I am at it, think I will take my watch off as well...I could care less what time it is down there. That is what is good about vacation, a break from the schedules of life. When Lisa and I were first married, vacations were events filled with the need to do things. Finally, after several years and a particularly brutal DisneyWorld vacation two years ago, we relish the vacation that is less crowded, less busy. That is what we did when I was a kid. Play, play, rest, eat when hungry, etc. I like the less commercialized places.

Intersting thing I read once about vacations. This is it in a nutshell. The change from holiday to vacation has more meaning than just in name only. Holiday has its origin in Holy Day. It was time of reflection, a time to reflect on God. We now take vacations, where we vacate from everything, responsibilities, stress, which are good. But we often put God on the back burner as well. We lump God in with the rest of the daily detritus we are trying to escape. If anything, the blessing to get away should be counted as such, and thanks should be given. I need to consider such things. Maybe I am not taking a vacation, but a holiday. Taking time to get connected with God without the clutter of the noisy lives we lead. Spending time with family...swimming, golfing, sandcastles, fishing...all good things, Godly things. We fall into a trap in our thinking on things secular and spiritual. We lose out on enriching spiritual experiences, when we head into something with our secular blinders on. God does not see such distinctions.

So anyway, see you guys on the flip-flop.

1 Comments:

At 10:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

like tumbler and tipsy days hopefully we will remain in high spirits. well, good day

 

Post a Comment

<< Home